Saturday, February 7, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Bread (No. 1)

In exchange for a haircut, Big E gifted me with a loaf of his homemade Oatmeal Raisin Bread.


The bread is really quite tasty. The oatmeal flavor is light and very smooth. I'm confident these are not the terms that bread aficionados would use, but I'm doing my best here. The bread is good. Oh, and it has raisins.

Big E presented me with the unsliced loaf Friday morning, and I think I was able to hold out for about 10 minutes before I started pulling off pieces and eating them while I prepared for my class.

Once I got the bread home, I started thinking about all the wonderful things I could make with fantastic homemade bread.

Tonight I made probably my favorite bread staple: French Toast.

My French Toast is not too fancy, but it's tried and true. To my egg(s), I add a little bit of milk, and a dash or two of ground cinnamon.

I don't measure, but it's gotten rave reviews.


And voila! French Toast with Big E's homemade Oatmeal Raisin bread.


French Toast is an excellent use for this bread. The raisins swirled through the bread are perfect surprises and the texture of the bread holds up beautifully under all the... frenching.

The healthy slices I cut allowed me to enjoy one piece tonight and look forward to another for breakfast. Success!

Just wait and see what I have up my sleeve for tomorrow.

No comments: