Monday, February 16, 2009

Coffee Conundrum

About a week ago, I was wasting time in the office by complaining about my blog. The blog wasn't the problem really, it was the clear lack of comments that I felt I was due.

I came up with nothing that needs repeating, but I did stumble upon No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog. And as I was nosing around the reviews, I caught one of the 100 ideas. One of Margaret Mason's tips for interesting blogging is to conduct unnecessary experiments and then (duh) blog them.

And this is where I will tell you about my current experiment.

BUT I will first tell you that I completely planned this experiment before I ever thought about blogging it.

AND it's not at all unnecessary, but I guess you'll find that out momentarily.

My plan is so far unnamed, but I have some possibilities:

Operation Coffee Deception
Project Java Confusion
Dunkin 'n' Deceivin

Here's the dilemma. I have about $72 worth of giftcards for Dunkin' Donuts. Dunkin' Donuts makes spectacular coffee.

Okay... I see the problem; so far there isn't one.

Starbucks has a wonderful cafe ambiance. Dunkin' Donuts does not.

Ambiance?

Good, free coffee?

Why can't I have both?

Here's my plan to get both. I'm going to buy a Starbucks mug. I'm hoping for this one:

I need the mug to be very overtly Starbucks.

Once I buy the mug, I will then buy the oh-so-tasty Dunkin' Donuts coffee and classily pour it into the Starbucks mug. Then, I'll drive to Starbucks - mug in hand - and sit, happily sipping, and grade student papers.

See?

Foolproof.

If I'm ever approached, I'll blame the economy and they'll just have to assume that I brewed my Starbucks coffee at home.

However, there is a hitch in this plan. When I went to Starbucks tonight, they didn't have any of the super-Starbucks mugs. Hm. I'll find one though, don't you worry.

And... to keep Ms. Mason happy, I'll update you as the project progresses.

2 comments:

Evan said...

I got so excited by the thought of experiment + Dunkin' Donuts gift cards. I was thinking, "Hey, maybe this experiment involves gifting people--like, say, I don't know, her *friends*--coffee." Way to slaughter my hopes and dreams, A., like puppies in a Chinese back alley.

Kate said...

I wish you the best of luck on this experiment. I too have felt the lack of ambience in Dunkin Donuts is really shameful.

I also struggle with the comments, as you well know. Today I found out that 20 people are subscribed to my blog via google reader and yet I get an average of 4 comments on each entry. So it's proportional, you know? It sucks, but...maybe knowing more people are reading is comforting to you?