Saturday, October 4, 2008

This is not new, but...

I'm getting old.

I know this because last night I was at home at 9:30pm. Reading Walter Benjamin.

And this was not just a quiet night in type thing. No...after a week of planner-filling busy-ness, I planned to relax a bit on Friday night. The graduate student government was hosting trivia night at a local bar, so there was even a ready made reason for me to have a big, fun night.

Well...that's how it started. Then I missed out on the free beer tickets. Then a girl who I mistakenly called Margaret spilled her free beer on my jeans. (The beer spilling had nothing to do with my name slip up, by the way.) Then, even though our team was in first place, I felt instantly exhausted right about 9:15pm. Nine fifteen.

So, being the lame-o that I am these days, I said my goodbyes and made a break for it.

Safe at home, I had a beer and pulled out the Benjamin. But here's how I relate back to my thesis: It's not so old that I was at home reading Benjamin, but that I was happily at home reading Benjamin on a Friday night.

To add insult to injury, I set my alarm for 8:29 this morning so I could get my laundry done before the college kids woke up. I had lunch at a truck stop with a friend around 11:30am, and this afternoon I excitedly bought new toothpaste. Heck, I even splurged on a new toothbrush.

The oldest part of my day - well, that might be up for debate - was when I enthusiastically read all the packaging on my new toothbrush and paste and flossed in preparation for the rapturous event that I just knew brushing my teeth would be.

And, just in case you were wondering, the new brush and paste are everything anyone could ever ask for.

Perhaps I should do it all again right now...

At least my early aging will not include dentures.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I spent all weekend going to bed early in the hopes that I would be able to catch up on my sleep. No luck, but it was a nice idea.