Sunday, October 19, 2008

Contradictory, a bit.

It was about Day 2 of my time in Maine that I realized that my life here is marked by contradictions. Me and Maine get along fine, but we certainly disagree on many things. For instance, Maine has a deep and abiding love for outdoor activity wear as day wear. In my opinion, if a shoe is appropriate for crossing a river or climbing a mountain, then said shoe is not at all right for either work or casual wear.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:


This summer I saw a guy in Starbucks (meeting a girl!!!) wearing a water shoe that made me gag a little. This water shoe had individual toes. That's right. Five of them. It was disgusting. Sadly, I can't find a picture of those...

Anyway, this is just one of the many things on which Maine and I do not see eye to eye.

But...today...I produced my own humorous contradiction. Dressed as if I belonged in Maine, I purchased gold, open-toed wedges. I was wearing a t-shirt, flannel Columbia shirt, and a knit beanie. And, I purchased shoes of the slut caliber that I will be lucky to wear more than once.

Exhibit C:


Exhibit D:












None of these things are at all like the other.

Ah, well. One of these days I will again live in an area that will not allow a flannel shirt out of the house.

Until then, I'll keep watching infommercials and baking cupcakes. Two things that are actually not too contradictory, actually.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I HATE those shoes. Hate them.

But your shoes are adorable. You should grocery shop in them just because you can.

And perhaps you can burn your plaid shirt when you leave Maine, like a little peace offering of goodwill or something.