Saturday, April 18, 2009

Carrot Cake Cupsters

In order to properly de-stress after my ridiculously stressful day, I whipped up a batch of cupcakes for a friend.

I started with Alton Brown's Carrot Cake recipe and followed that up with How to Eat a Cupcake's Perfect Cream Cheese Icing. Alton's list of ingredients wasn't too daunting and Cassie promised this cream cheese was pipe-worthy.

In actuality, the list of ingredients for Alton's carrot cake was not the most demanding part of his recipe. I should have known. He wanted me to make the batter in several stages in a food processor. Well... my food processor (like my kitchen and everything in it) is tiny. I knew there was no way that I could make a batter, start to finish, in my food processor.


I just forked the dry ingredients and beat the wet with the hand mixer. When it came time to mix the two, I just used the fork again.


I'm sure the science was against me, but Alton wasn't here to yell at me. Do you think Alton ever yells?

Cassie's cream cheese method is spot on. Follow the link and you will never make cream cheese icing the same way again! The icing was a sinch to throw together and it piped like a dream! It was smooth and perfect. I'm so in love. This will only encourage me to use cream cheese icings even more than I already do. Wow.


And how, you might ask, could these adorable carrot cake cupsters with perfect cream cheese icing get any better?


And why, you might ask, are they in the freezer?

Well... I guess you'll just have to tune in tomorrow at the same bat time, same bat channel to find out!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That frosting does look delish!

kmari03 said...

that frosting....amazing...looks like the cupcakes from the Atlanta Cupcake Factory! :)

Evan said...

Wow. The frosting does look amazing.

For some reason, I fail spectacularly at making Alton Brown's recipes. I've tried them twice and failed both times. Here's to you having much more success than me.

Unknown said...

YUM YUM YUM.

Amanda said...

Evan: It's killing me not to try a cupcake because I'm not at all sure that the cake turned out right. On top of my fiddlings with the process, I also roughly halved the recipe. It could turn out to be really disappointing tomorrow. :)

Hilary said...

The frosting! Wow! A cream cheese frosting that holds perfect little tops like that? I didn't think it was possible.

Pamela said...

What's that gadgety cupcake holder thing?

Amanda said...

Hilary: I know! I was skeptical all the way through the process but it really does work!

Pamela: That is part of my cupcake toter, September. http://testone2three.blogspot.com/2008/10/cupcakes-what-else.html

Elissa @ 17 and Baking said...

Wow, the frosting looks perfect. Like little clouds... It almost looks like soft serve! What pretty cupcakes (:

Kate said...

I'm totally going to use that cream cheese recipe.

Also, I'm sure Alton yells. I think I've heard him yell, during his Thanksgiving special. But he probably wouldn't yell at you, he would probably just speak into the camera and tell the audience at home that you were doing it wrong in a totally unhelpful manner.

He's such an oddball.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

If people don't know about this cream cheese frosting recipe... They are LOST! Lol :D