Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Meaty Day

This morning I took full advantage of my Tuesday schedule and headed to the gym around 9am. I stretched, A-B-Ced, did all 11 machines in the circuit, and spent an hour on that thing that is near the ellypticals but more like the lovechild of a stepper and an ellyptical.

It was a four star day.

Needless to say, I worked up quite an appetite even before noon.

I had a more simplified version of last night's disaster salad, and then headed to campus with a bag of grapes to listen to a presentation on the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty.

I saw this video for the first time:

And, I must admit that I very much like it. When the music video dancers came up, I smiled and then realized that I was sitting next to one of my former students. Awkward...

Anyway, after contemplating my self-esteem, I went to the grocery store and stocked up. I have been eyeing The Pioneer Woman's recipes for a few days now. Mainly just reading the recipes and drooling over the pictures.

Today I decided to take the plunge and make Pastor Ryan's Cajun Meatloaf. It is an odd choice to choose, as my first Pioneer Woman recipe, one from her guest blogger, but I've been wanting meatloaf.

Anyway, you can find the full recipe and pictures of every step on Pioneer Woman's blog, but I'd like to point out that at one time I had a skillet full of vegetables to go into this 1lb. meatloaf.

Now that is what I call a promising loaf of meat.

Fast forward an hour or so, and this is what I ended up with.

The meatloaf was tender and juicy and the vegetables gave the loaf a nice variety of textures and flavors. I do think that I need to be a bit more serious with the spices next time, but the meatloaf was certainly a success.

Of course, I made some mashed potatoes for the occasion, but they are nothing that I'm proud of. We'll just leave it at that.

I've just finished eating dinner and I feel incredibly domestic. And a little bit old, I guess. Dinner done by 6:00pm? I think that means I'm old.

To continue the domesticity of the night, I'm looking forward to Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy! and then the highly anticipated Biggest Loser.

To recap: I'm fit yet domestic, old, and addicted to reality tv. There are worse things.

2 comments:

kmari03 said...

I feel really old, too. I'm hoping we're just at the point where we're still so young we don't know what old is, but we're old enough to start contemplating it seriously.

Also, the meatloaf looks awesome. Perhaps I can figure out a vegetarian version of something similar...

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I'm a big fan of a small slice of meatloaf. :D