Friday, January 30, 2009

Front-loading Father's Day

I know Father's Day is still a bit off, but as I was leaving the gym tonight, I caught sight of the cutest father/daughter combo. The dad stood with his hands in the pockets of his overly puffed Maine winter coat, and the little girl, probably about 6, was running and jumping in the two-days-ago-fresh snow just off the sidewalk.

Just as I was beyond them, I heard the girl say, "Daddy? When it's my birthday..." in her cute high pitched voice.

And, I didn't stick around to catch the end of the question, but I'm sure it was something like "can we go swimming alllll day?" or "can I have a puppy?" or "will you take me to Governor's and get me my own piece of chocolate peanut butter cake?"

Okay, so maybe that last wish is mine, but you get the idea.

Anyway, this sweet little girl made me miss my Daddy. I just saw him a few weeks ago, but he is pretty far away. (And honestly I think missing him really is just the reminder that I might miss all of my family a little. :) Despite my best efforts.).

Hearing the little girl's question also made me miss the age when birthdays were the absolute most fun, mythical, wish-fulfilling thing I could think of.

So here's to fathers. And daughters. And amazing birthdays.

Oh, and here's a picture of me back when birthdays were fantastic.

No comments: