Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dear Mom,

Something random that always, always reminds me of you: the sound of teeth on thick plastic.


TELEFONA on deviantART

French braids on long haired little girls require two hands, but precision in the aforementioned braids requires a comb. So... while your hands worked, your teeth held the comb. Back and forth it went. The bite on the comb making the exact same noise every time.



(I couldn't find a yellow one. But I tried really hard.)

As much as I love this crisp, hollow little noise, my buzzed head hadn't thought about it for years. Until I was putting away some laundry in my grown ass home. One of my fussy, grown ass shirts was refusing to cooperate and I accidentally discovered that these hangers, when bitten, make exactly the same noise.



Only these though. The skinnier ones are different, and the metal hooked ones are only good if you enjoy memories of being a large-mouth bass.

So... there you have it, Mom. I love my hair short and I can't imagine it any other way, but every once in a while, I wouldn't mind sitting backwards on the closed toilet seat and having you braid my hair. My biggest concern being which one of these I would end up with.



All my love,

Amanda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, this is so sweet!!! Thanks Manda, you're the best ever!! I LOVE YOU <3

Jecca Andrew said...

i know exactly the sound you're talking about.
this was too sweet. i feel like crying a little.

Amanda said...

Don't cry, babygirl! : ) But I'm glad that at least one other person in the world gets nostalgic over this weird little noise.

Our mom is thee behst.

Marilla @ Cupcake Rehab said...

So sweet. And now that you mentioned it, the same thing reminds me of my mom.

Amber said...

My mom was the only mom in my dance class who could french braid. I cannot, however, and I often worry it means I will be a horrible mom.