Monday, February 6, 2012

When people find out I'm a writing teacher, they most often respond with something along these lines:

"Ooooh... I could never do your job."

"I hated English! Nothing against you or anything. I'm sure your class is different."

or... my favorite...

"Don't judge my writing/speaking! I'm terrible with grammar!"

This last response is my favorite because, well, I don't do that. I could get into all the purpose, audience, and context of the thing and why I won't "judge" you, but...

Wait a damn minute. This is my blog. I can get into anything I want.

It all comes down to audience.

People who 'find out' that I'm a teacher rarely ever make that discovery while they sit among 20 of their peers all looking in the same direction (at me) as I move about the classroom addressing them, gesticulating wildly, and making sometimes decipherable notes on the board.

To put it another way... these people (you people) are not my students.

It's not my job, nay my calling, to correct you. It's not your young mind that I'm interested in molding. And... as a poor teacher, I am not into pro bono work just yet.

Carry on, friends. And remember... when it really comes down to it, I spell skillz with a "z."


4 comments:

Eva said...

hah! i will be the one to correct poor grammar and spelling for you! :)

Jenny said...

"It's not my job, nay my calling, to correct you. It's not your young mind that I'm interested in molding." --I may quote you on that, this is an excellent response to an infuriating thing that people do!

jezau said...

This can be occurred at any stage of life and can have different causes. But shyness to discuss stops us curing this sensitive issue. How about if we have a prescription free treatment. Visit http://www.ambrina.com or
Click Here

jokesfb said...

Great blog , thanks for this wonderful collection